Let's Go Together

Wherever I go I see you people, I see you people just like me. And whatever you do, I want to do. And the Pooh and you and me together make three. Let's go together, Let's go together, Let's go together right now. Let's go together, Let's go together, Let's go together right now, Come on. Shall I go off and away to bright Andromeda? Shall I sail my wooden ships to the sea? Or stay in a cage of those in Amerika?? Or shall I be on the knee? Wave goodbye to Amerika, Say hello to the garden. So I see - I see the way you feel, And I know that your life is real. Pioneer searcher refugee I follow you and you follow me. Let's go together, Let's go together, Let's go together right now. Wave goodbye to Amerika, Say hello to the garden.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

My Reaction to MSN Calling "We Built This City" the worst song, ever

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/is-this-80s-no-1-hit-really-the-worst-song-ever/ar-AAiCaBe?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

GQ and MSN, and Rolling Stone are among the media whores saying "We Built This City" is the worst song, ever. These pulp-rags publications, are the ones "playing corporation games" that keep "changing names," and keep us "knee deep in the "hoopla," meaning bulls**t.  "We Built This City" is one of the few anti-ruling class songs to reach number one on the charts and become a hit despite its liberating message, until the powers-that-be found out what it really meant and tried to kill it. The message is as meaningful as in any Public Enemy song warning African-Americans how they were being co-opted with a 'church on one corner' of the projects and a 'liquor store on the other corner.' Look what the corporate media did to vital rap music, totally defanged it. "We Built This City" was a clarion call to the dwindling middle-class of European descendants in Reagan's America. "Marconi plays the mambo; listen to the radio" was a warning, at the start of the MTV age of mindless, talentless, photogenic rock groups and singers, for listeners to concentrate on the message, not the image of the song. Sure, Grace wanted the song to be a hit, and she straightened up for it, but the clandestine meaning, and sweet revenge she and Paul Kantner had on getting this message through was amazing. BTW, why isn't Paul Kantner included in this photo of Starship? The corporate media is still trying to marginalize Paul and the message he brought, ignoring hid opinion and instead using quotes in the article from a-political band members and outright traitors such as Mickey Thomas who got his nose broken in a fight after trying to hijack the group. The message Paul and Grace wanted us to hear was, 'Take it back, yo; this is your city. We built this city; not those corporate good-for-nothings'. This happened to Eiffel 65, the group that had a disco hit with "I'm Blue," and Chumbawumba who hit big with "I Get Knocked Down", becoming hits, falling through the cracks, until the butchers in black suits realized they were playing anarchist groups in constant rotation. The message still stands, and nothing can take it away; it is the last laugh the counter culture had before English language rock'n'roll  turned into a complete corporate controlled cookie-cutter mess. Rock 'n' roll will survive neo-liberalism, too. Instead of promoting mindless songs about fighting for your right to party, we can be together, volunteers for America, and fight for our right to live free. As Patti Smith said, "We created it; let's take it over!" 

1 comment: